OT: Weirdness With WiFi Access Point

Stephen cryptworks at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 08:41:33 MST 2011

Check the Channels you are running on. If you are using a channel that
has allot of surrounding traffic that would explain why as they try to
"shout" and be heard over each-other.

If you cna find some "unused" channels or at least lightly populated
you should get better results.

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 8:24 AM, Mark Phillips
<mark at phillipsmarketing.biz> wrote:
> I setup a new Roku box with an older DL-524 WiFi access point (channel 3
> with security running). I noticed that fairly often the Roku looses the
> signal from the DL-524 and the show I am watching stops. I used a WiFi
> analyzer on my Android phone and noticed that the signal strength from the
> DL-524 varies from -50 dbm to -70 dbm, with an occasional spike to -100 dbm
> over about a 10 minute period.
>
> I have another access point at the other end of the house (WRT54G, channel
> 11 with security running), and it shows a +/- 10dbm variation in signal
> strength with a few spikes to -100 dbm in a 10 minute period as well. The
> -100 dmb spikes between the two devices do not seem to be correlated.
>
> 1. Is this behavior normal for WiFi access points?
> 2. Could the Android WiFi analyzer be the cause of this strange behavior?
> 3. Do I need a new access point for Netflix? Any brand recommendations?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mark

Stephen