OT: Weirdness With WiFi Access Point

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Wed Sep 21 08:24:15 MST 2011

I setup a new Roku box with an older DL-524 WiFi access point (channel 3
with security running). I noticed that fairly often the Roku looses the
signal from the DL-524 and the show I am watching stops. I used a WiFi
analyzer on my Android phone and noticed that the signal strength from the
DL-524 varies from -50 dbm to -70 dbm, with an occasional spike to -100 dbm
over about a 10 minute period.

I have another access point at the other end of the house (WRT54G, channel
11 with security running), and it shows a +/- 10dbm variation in signal
strength with a few spikes to -100 dbm in a 10 minute period as well. The
-100 dmb spikes between the two devices do not seem to be correlated.

1. Is this behavior normal for WiFi access points?
2. Could the Android WiFi analyzer be the cause of this strange behavior?
3. Do I need a new access point for Netflix? Any brand recommendations?

Thanks!

Mark