test a sed command?

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 21:00:21 MST 2011

How do people test sed replacements on something consequential?  I thought I
remembered sed having an option to just report what changes it WOULD HAVE
made without actually making the changes.  But I can't find anything like
that.

Best I can think of is to make a test directory [hierarchy], copy your files
into it, run the sed command and then look at all the files for intended and
unintended changes (or diff them from the originals).  That would seem to
suck!

--
Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
  - Thomas Jefferson