OT: Netflix and Linux and LAN

Bryan O'Neal Bryan.ONeal at TheONealAndAssociates.com
Tue Sep 13 20:11:56 MST 2011

What intrigued me about this post was the word 'distributed'. This to
me says pause on one and play on the other. If you have unlimeted
streams this is just a matter of starting a second stream where you
left off. Other then that I do not know any service that will do this
for you. Of course I suppose one could configure a media proxie but I
don't know how you would get around the drm.

On 9/13/11, Dan Lund <situationalawareness at gmail.com> wrote:
> AppleTV has a Netflix plugin on it, and it's a small footprint.  I use
> it for the bedroom TV, and it works nicely.  I also have an iTunes
> share so I can watch my digital movies. (not purchased through Apple)
>
> Then again, it's not a Linux solution, but it's a good cheap one.
>
> --Dan Lund
>
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 10:28 AM, Mark Phillips
> <mark at phillipsmarketing.biz> wrote:
>> I am thinking of getting Netflix, and I am trying to figure out how to
>> distribute it to several TVs in the house, and I was wondering if anyone
>> else has solved this problem. We currently have cox Internet and cable.
>>
>> The options I found revolve around buying one of a variety of "boxes" for
>> each TV and have them access netflix via WiFi. The boxes include googleTV,
>> ROKU, Wii, etc. It looks to me that the ROKU boxes are the least expensive
>> and offer access to the most services. Anyone have any experience doing
>> this? Any major pitfalls to watch out for? Is WiFi fast enough for
>> streaming
>> video, or should I get the more expensive boxes and use a wired LAN?
>>
>> Are there any Linux options for distributing Netflix shows over a LAN? I
>> read that the DRM software used by Netflix is incompatible with Linux, so
>> perhaps this is a non-starter?
>>
>> Thanks for sharing any experiences you may have had with Netflix, Linux,
>> and
>> LANs.
>>
>> Mark

Sent from my mobile device