OT; phone argument

Nathan England nathan at paysonlinux.org
Sat Oct 22 17:49:03 MST 2011

This is, in my opinion, a really good response. I do not trust Google
much, but I also look as them as a company that is going to use what
they can of mine to make money. So in a sense I trust them because I
know what they are going to do. I have an HTC Hero that I put
Cyanogenmod on about two weeks after I got it and loved it. Now, I have
finally upgraded to a new Galaxy S and I setup my Hero for my daughter
to use as a handheld game system. I wiped the phone, installed
Cyanogenmod and never logged into a Google account. The phone is
completely usable and has not a single Google app on it. Of course, I
needed some apps for my daughter, so I put the Amazon market on it for
some of the games I have purchased, then I added the Google stuff for
the market apps that amazon does not have.

My point is, the phone was fully usable with amazon market and NO GOOGLE
dependencies at all.

Purchase a phone that is listed on the hardware compatibility list of
Cyanogenmod and flash the phone if you are really worried. Either way, I
would trust Google a LOT more than Apple. With their creative force
gone, they are going to fall back into the "let's make money the only
way a corporate structure knows how" mode and begin selling off personal
data and suing everyone in sight. Granted they supposedly have 4 years
worth of new products, I bet they put them all out in a year!

Nathan