Another reason for Linux.

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Fri Oct 21 08:07:31 MST 2011

Well, I can honestly say that there really aren't a lot of good serial
control applications or software in general under linux - most of this
is "roll yer own" socket i/o stuff.  I've been through this with home
automation exercises, other than serial to network daemons, it's rather
nil out there.   PLC utilities I would presume is shaky as well, simply
because all hardware vendors just default to windoze.  They don't know
any better...

Market opportunity?  Sure, tons I would say, but adoption is the trick.
  How many municipalities are willing to put water control over to new
software, os, AND be the first to do it?  How about nuclear plants?  I'm
sure someone out there is working on it, but I'd love to see/compare
adoption rate of "industry standard" windoze-based software from Siemens
and such vs. lone-wolf software vendor solution on linux.

-mb