LaTop battery care and life expectancy

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Sun Oct 9 15:29:05 MST 2011

All lithium-ion charges must shut off charging once the cell is "full".  They actually have to manage to the limitations of the least capable individual cell in a pack, so it's a little less than that for laptop packs.
Because lithium is subject to thermal runaway (i.e. the pack can burst into flames if not managed properly) you cannot just dump power into it without detecting full charge and shutting off.
You actually have to watch heat build up as well, and most (if not all) cells have a thermal sensor that reports to the charging circuit to avoid overheating the cell during charge or discharge.