games

Stephen cryptworks at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 12:37:41 MST 2011

I can honestly say City of heroes works and world of warcraft work
under wine, usually when updates are made you do need to make some
allowances for tinkering to get it back in place.

I have also seen steam and steam games running as well.

I am getting to the point of revisiting my Gaming to a Linux desktop
instead of windows... again... its a special sort of sadism i think.

but in general most games except some of the most brand new hotness
usually is figured out in time.

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 9:40 AM, Andrew Harris <tuna at supertunaman.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Michael Butash <michael at butash.net> wrote:
>> Game friendly?  Yes, much more so of late, system and drivers are mostly up
>> to snuff.  Are there games to play?  Nothing mainstream... don't expect to
>> play COD4 or MW3 on it anytime soon.
>>
>> That said, I play lots of games on linux.  Minecraft (client and server),
>> Heroes of Newerth, Nexuiz, etc.  I also play some older GL games, Postal,
>> Descent1/2/3,, and some others that all work pretty decently even with crap
>> ati drivers.  There's always Wine, but it's entirely a crapshoot - there are
>> compatibility lists though at wine's site.
>>
>> Another thing of late I've been playing with are emulators.  Most old
>> consoles are supported decently, and just within the past few days I've
>> tried dolphin-emu (wii) that works pretty darn good (no surprise considering
>> wii's hardware is antique by most standards), pcsx (ps1) and jpcsp (psp).
>>  PCSX2 (ps2) only works right with 32bit linux kernels and jpcsp needs it
>> for the media engine (drm video in games).  They all have some quirkiness to
>> them, but with dolphin it loaded right up brand new Zelda Skyward Sword from
>> iso and makes any wii game look 10x better than it does on the console.  Run
>> 32bit kernels with emu's for a game system - gonna do this on my 32bit
>> xbmc/tv box but desktop is x86-64.
>>
>> Long and short is don't expect any big game vendor to support it OOB. Even
>> the most linux-friendly like ID Soft. doesn't even bother supporting it OOB
>> - Carmack may support it later, but there's no financial incentive to
>> bother.  Steam constantly hints and teases to support linux, but doesn't.
>>  There's a few other steam-like services that do have linux gaming, but it's
>> not titles you've heard of or expect.
>>
>> -mb
>>

> To add to that, most quake-based games should play nicely on Linux.
> Even if they keep the quake binary files locked up in a .exe or
> whatever, the engine should play nicely with wine for the most part.
>
> On the subject, Urban Terror is a lovely quasi-realistic shooter that
> I play often, with Linux executables available for download.
>
> www.urbanterror.info/downloads/
>
> Also have a look at the Wine AppDB. A lot of Steam games, and the
> Steam client itself play very nicely.
>
> http://appdb.winehq.org/
>

>> On 11/22/2011 02:06 AM, Michael Havens wrote:
>>>
>>> I hate telling people that with Linux they won't be able to be a gamer.
>>> Is Linux any more game friendly than it used to be?
>>>
>>> --

Stephen