games

Andrew Harris tuna at supertunaman.com
Tue Nov 22 09:40:55 MST 2011

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Michael Butash <michael at butash.net> wrote:
> Game friendly?  Yes, much more so of late, system and drivers are mostly up
> to snuff.  Are there games to play?  Nothing mainstream... don't expect to
> play COD4 or MW3 on it anytime soon.
>
> That said, I play lots of games on linux.  Minecraft (client and server),
> Heroes of Newerth, Nexuiz, etc.  I also play some older GL games, Postal,
> Descent1/2/3,, and some others that all work pretty decently even with crap
> ati drivers.  There's always Wine, but it's entirely a crapshoot - there are
> compatibility lists though at wine's site.
>
> Another thing of late I've been playing with are emulators.  Most old
> consoles are supported decently, and just within the past few days I've
> tried dolphin-emu (wii) that works pretty darn good (no surprise considering
> wii's hardware is antique by most standards), pcsx (ps1) and jpcsp (psp).
>  PCSX2 (ps2) only works right with 32bit linux kernels and jpcsp needs it
> for the media engine (drm video in games).  They all have some quirkiness to
> them, but with dolphin it loaded right up brand new Zelda Skyward Sword from
> iso and makes any wii game look 10x better than it does on the console.  Run
> 32bit kernels with emu's for a game system - gonna do this on my 32bit
> xbmc/tv box but desktop is x86-64.
>
> Long and short is don't expect any big game vendor to support it OOB. Even
> the most linux-friendly like ID Soft. doesn't even bother supporting it OOB
> - Carmack may support it later, but there's no financial incentive to
> bother.  Steam constantly hints and teases to support linux, but doesn't.
>  There's a few other steam-like services that do have linux gaming, but it's
> not titles you've heard of or expect.
>
> -mb

To add to that, most quake-based games should play nicely on Linux.
Even if they keep the quake binary files locked up in a .exe or
whatever, the engine should play nicely with wine for the most part.

On the subject, Urban Terror is a lovely quasi-realistic shooter that
I play often, with Linux executables available for download.

www.urbanterror.info/downloads/

Also have a look at the Wine AppDB. A lot of Steam games, and the
Steam client itself play very nicely.

http://appdb.winehq.org/