my parents present to me:

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 00:59:21 MST 2011

See if one of these guys has a T60p for $200 or less:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/sys/2714775866.html

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/sys/2702549982.html

The T60/T60p series have well-supported ATI video cards with good
open-source drivers as long as you stay with a somewhat-recent distro
like Ubuntu Maverick 10.10 or later.  The T61 has an older Nvidia card
that may get support dropped at some point.

GREAT machines.

This Dell 610 is also worth looking at:

http://www.affordable-help.com/For-Sale.html

Other links off Craigslist:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/sys/2706049840.html

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/sys/2699222635.html

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/sys/2672075018.html

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/sys/2713670623.html

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/sys/2712426492.html - awesome if it works...

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/sys/2712638124.html

Other notes...avoid the Intel 965 video chip, also known as the
"X3100".  It works but it's buggy.  The 945 is stable as hell, the
4500 series work great (faster, newer Intel. DO NOT touch the Intel
"GMA500" video chip - total absolute dog and Linux-hostile.  Older ATI
video chips rock hard.  Older NVidia can have issues...some had a
habit of melting.  HPs and Compaqs run hotter than Dell or IBM/Lenovo.
 Acer can work OK but I'd rather have a Dell or IBM/Lenovo.

"Core 2 Duo" is great if you can score one - built-in hardware
virtualization support on most, plus 64bit.  Best of the early ones:
Intel 7100/7200/7400/7600 series CPUs rock HARD.

Jim