Possible ubuntu video driver bug

Derek Trotter expat.arizonan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 16:21:13 MST 2011

On 11/10/2011 16:10, Dazed_75 wrote:
> Try looking to see if you are using the open source generic nvidia
> driver or the proprietary one.  I am not sure where that is in the
> Kubuntu menus but look for something in System, or Administration with
> a name that is probably something about Hardware.  It should run a
> program that looks to see if there are proprietary drivers you might
> choose to use.
When I first installed the os I noticed the problem with the driver it
came with.  I checked and found where it suggested a proprietary driver
and offered one other.  I chose the one that was recommended.  The bug
showed itself with the driver that came with the install and the one I
installed later.
> I AM curious though if you have some particular reason for suspecting
> it is due to you having that video card since a screen freeze could be
> something above the driver level.
I've had that card for about 2 years while the machine was running XP
and didn't have this problem.  It only showed itself after I installed
the latest Ubuntu and Kubuntu version as well as the other latest linux
flavors I mentioned earlier.  Fedora 15 was the worst.  It would freeze
the screen as soon as I started playing a video.  The others would let
me watch at least for a few minutes before the screen froze.

Also if it's not a driver problem, what else could it be?