Possible ubuntu video driver bug

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 16:10:15 MST 2011

Try looking to see if you are using the open source generic nvidia driver
or the proprietary one.  I am not sure where that is in the Kubuntu menus
but look for something in System, or Administration with a name that is
probably something about Hardware.  It should run a program that looks to
see if there are proprietary drivers you might choose to use.

I AM curious though if you have some particular reason for suspecting it is
due to you having that video card since a screen freeze could be something
above the driver level.

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 3:59 PM, Derek Trotter <expat.arizonan at gmail.com>wrote:

> I have an NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS card that plugs into a PCI slot.  I have
> no problems with it in XP, but when I installed Kubuntu 11.10 I found a
> problem.  Occasionally the screen freezes.  I can't switch to a console.
>  Also I can't kill the x server.  I know the machine has not completely
> locked up because when I have audio playing, it keeps playing even though
> the screen has frozen.  None of the usual means to shut down a machine
> work.  The only thing I can do is hit the reset button, press the power
> switch for several seconds until the machine shuts off, or pull the plug.
>  I've encountered this on Ubuntu 11.10, Kubuntu 11.10, Mepis 11 and Fedora
> 15.  I installed the LTS verson of Kubuntu 10 and haven't had any problems
> with it.  Does anyone have any idea what's going on or how to fix it?
>
> Thanks

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
  - Thomas Jefferson