ON Topic Request For Opinions

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Sun May 8 21:29:09 MST 2011

You can still do it in KDE 4.x, but you do it in a different way since
the background is now provided by a plasma widgets (plasmoids).

If you want to put different stuff, including backgrounds on each
virtual desktop, just go to System Setting -> Workspace Behavior and
pick the Virtual Desktops section from the left.  Then just check off
"Different widgets for each desktop"

Then all you have to do is setup a widget such as Desktop (The default),
or folder view on each desktop and set the appropriate background for
each desktop.  It's actually a LOT more versatile that the old way of
doing things, although admittedly a lot less obvious.

Better yet, setup a separate Activity and you can then flip back and
forth between large sets of tasks opting to hide programs started on one
activity from the other activities or not.

This will also let you flip back and forth between a netbook type
interface that you have dialed in for web activities and a more
traditional desktop for other activities.

Brian Cluff