ON Topic Request For Opinions

ChasM Marshall chasm750 at hotmail.com
Sun May 8 20:51:31 MST 2011

Hiya,

I've had lots of fun installing distro after distro,
some of which have had severe limitations,
some of which are really well-thought-out systems.

The window manager seems to contain my main Linux issue.
In ignorance of Unity, the one question I have for
experienced Linux folks only concerns the workspace switcher.
Or maybe you call it the Desktop switcher.
All the GUIs have it.  None flaunt it.  In fact, most are
now hiding it.  New composting effects with Widgets prevent
users visualizing multiple Desktops.  By that I mean:

Why is there no ability to set a different wallpaper to each Workspace?

IMHO only KDE 3.x can do this.  (v.4.x removed it.)
The average Microsoft "Power User" is floored when they see it.
Has Gnome ever been able to do this?  Not that I've seen.

It's my opinion that multi-workspace SHOULD default to multi-wallpaper.
And why not?  What's your opinion?

(-:  Chas.M.  :-)