Weird project

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 10:01:24 MST 2011

As both you and
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/debian-linux/175323-persistent-debian-squeeze-usb.htmlsay,
one option is to do a full install to the pen drive taking care to
install GRUB to the pen drive rather than to your hard drive.  In an ubuntu
install process that requires checking an advanced checkbox near the end of
the partitioning phase (I think that is where) which then lets you choose
where to put GRUB.  This option requires you to specify booting from the
flash drive on whatever computer(s) you use it on.

As Ubuntu is derived from Debian, you could try using the Ubuntu "Startup
Disk Creator" using the Debian .iso or CD as the source and specifying
persistence.

You might also find a solution at http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ which also
has http://www.pendrivelinux.com/what-is-persistent-linux/

Another place to look is http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ though I did not
look for persistence there.

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 9:23 AM, Stephen <cryptworks at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to modify the Debian Squeeze live install to be more
> "persistent" or something similar. that i can run from USB, and make
> changes instead of having it revert to its original state.
>
> I am almost to the point of re-partitioning the USB stick for
> Fat32/ext and trying to install directly to The USB device.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts on this?

> Stephen

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
  - Thomas Jefferson