The devil you know

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Thu Mar 24 16:52:22 MST 2011

On 03/24/2011 01:56 PM, Kevin Fries wrote:
> One of my favorite tools for testing multiple distros has always been
> ProxmoxVE
>
> http://pve.proxmox.com
>
> It is wicked cool. Think of VMWare ESX, Open Source edition. It uses KVM
> to build virtual machines on top of a "striped to its shorts" version of
> debian. I used to use this in a lab environment all the time.
>
> Just another option
> Kevin

I'm with Kevin. I haven't tried ProxmoxVE (yet), but if you have a good
plan that includes KVM, then the decision of "which distro" becomes much
easier to deal with. AFA the best hypervisor for desktops, that's
debatable. I think the top contenders at this time are KVM and Virtualbox.

If I were starting from scratch, I'd go with KVM. There several other
KVM management tools available as well in addition to Proxmox. See
http://ajmf.wordpress.com/2009/06/08/management-interfaces-for-the-kernel-virtual-machine-kvm/
for a rundown.

VirtualMachineManager is also simple and effective. The others are
probably overkill for the desktop.

--
-Eric 'shubes'