The devil you know

Nathan England nathan at paysonlinux.org
Thu Mar 24 14:41:15 MST 2011

I didn't mean to imply the RPM system is bad. However, the packages that
SUSE has built, regardless of what delivery system they use, are crap!

When I installed 11.1 a while back and out of the box it would not update.
Two weeks later I found some forum comment about having to manually edit
some file to get openSUSE to update with zypper... Why then was an updated
ISO never put out? Maybe it was 11.2 or .3, I don't remember.

Then I installed 11.4 and had similar problems. I added some additional
repositories and after hours of playing, never could get VirtualBox
installed. I gave up and went back to Fedora. A Guh-Nome based distro!!! ha
ha

> The packaging's RPM-based, but whatever.  I just found that updates in SuSE
> tended to break stuff, packages for some programs were missing, and it was
> often difficult or impossible to compile things from source without
> grabbing
> more recent libs and compiling *them* from source.
>
> --
> Matt G / Dances With Crows
> The Crow202 Blog:  http://crow202.org/wordpress/
> There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see

Nathan England
I believe in the Constitution and the 4th Amendment. I am innocent and have
nothing to hide, but NO agent of the state crosses my threshhold without a
valid warrant signed by a judge and properly submitted. If we fail to
exercise our rights, we lose them.