The devil you know

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 11:16:18 MST 2011

I would agree with Mike though I might not limit Ubuntu much in disk space.
I say that just because if you find something you like better, you may well
just replace Ubuntu with it.

BTW, if you are not aware of it, a great many distros in the Debian family
are Ubuntu derivatives like Mint is (thugh they now have a straight Debian
derivative as well).  For that matter, Debian itself may be a viable
alternative for you.  With Ubuntu moving to Unity and Debian to Gnome 3, it
will make an interesting difference.

Larry

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 8:52 AM, Mike Ballon <mike.ballon at gmail.com> wrote:

> In your situation I would stick with Ubuntu, but only use say of the hard
> disk for the install. Then load virtualbox to play with several other
> distros like Mint (my current), decide if you like any of them more than
> Ubuntu, and then install that one onto the free space you left open.
>
> Or if you don't want to partition your drive for some reason, test the
> other distros on your old laptop and go from there.
>

> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 11:23 AM, James Finstrom <
> jfinstrom at rhinoequipment.com> wrote:
>
>> It was a dark stormy night in 2005. A stranger in a trench coat approached
>> and handed me a CD. I no longer had to fight the benign little issues nor
>> did I have to put any effort in to make my laptop run Linux. Alas I have
>> been using derivatives of Ubuntu ever since. I used Kbuntu for years then
>> they decided to move to KDE 4 which lacked my ability to like it.
>> I switched over to gnome and we have become good friends. Ok lets get to the
>> point. I am getting a new laptop today and I am debating of weather I should
>> stick with Ubuntu who has never done me wrong or do I try something new.  I
>> have no issues from a technical or moral standpoint with Ubuntu and am happy
>> to use it until I do. That being said It has been almost 6 years and there
>> have been many new distros born and old ones brought up to par so I would
>> like feed back. I do wish to stay in the Debian family tree but outside of
>> that I am open to suggestions.
>>
>> --
>> James Finstrom

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
  - Thomas Jefferson