The devil you know

Mike Ballon mike.ballon at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 08:52:46 MST 2011

In your situation I would stick with Ubuntu, but only use say of the hard
disk for the install. Then load virtualbox to play with several other
distros like Mint (my current), decide if you like any of them more than
Ubuntu, and then install that one onto the free space you left open.

Or if you don't want to partition your drive for some reason, test the other
distros on your old laptop and go from there.