web conference

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Fri Mar 4 12:22:07 MST 2011

moin moin,

a vendor wants to share a desktop with dial in for voice for some meetings.
Said vendor is using gotomeeting which does not support GNU/Linux. I'm
going to point out that deficiency and suggest we use a service that does
work.

Haven't needed to use web conferencing for a while. Any suggestions on
what's good now?

Lots of suggestions for DimDim, but it was purchased and is no longer
available.

I found suggestions for Yugma and Vyew, both claiming to support all 3
major desktop OSen. The source also says Zoho Meeting does, but since Zoho
Meeting's site doesn't want to confirm that I'm ignoring it for now.

WebEx is also out there and supports all 3 platforms. I believe GNU/Linux
can not share the desktop, but that's fine in this particular case.

In our case we'll have at least 3 people from the vendor and 3 people from
my company in the meetings.

We've been using[0] Skype for the calls, but the vendor would like
something more reliable than Skype and would like to share presentations.
I also need to find something other than Skype :).

Yugma has a Skype plugin, but it looks like you can also call in to a
conference bridge. That's sufficient. We don't need VoIP, but it would be
cool if we could reliably use it.

[0] For values of using that include 'reconnecting frequently due to
technical problems'.

ciao,

der.hans
#  ABLEconf - 2011Apr02 - Free Software for Free Enterprise
#  "It is appallingly obvious that our technology exceeds our humanity."
#   -- Einstein