Why does the $%&#@!# NUMLOCK key dies? :(

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 09:32:12 MST 2011

Could you be a bit mre specific what you mean by "NUMLOCK key quits
working"?  Do you mean it no longer has any effect? Or that it is the
NUMLOCK key itself that is outputting control characters?  Or do you mean
that the numeric pad puts out control characters as if NUMLOCK was off and
that the NUMLOCK key no longer changes that?

Take a look at:
http://www.michaelphipps.com/ubuntu-numlock-keypad-not-working

You could also run xmodmap once when you boot up and again after NUMLOCK
fails to see if something is changing the mapping for the key.  Here is what
I get on ubuntu 9.10:
larry at triggerfish:~$ xmodmap
xmodmap:  up to 4 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):

shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
lock        Caps_Lock (0x42)
control     Control_L (0x25),  Control_R (0x69)
mod1        Alt_L (0x40),  Alt_R (0x6c),  Meta_L (0xcd)
mod2        Num_Lock (0x4d)
mod3
mod4        Super_L (0x85),  Super_R (0x86),  Super_L (0xce),  Hyper_L
(0xcf)
mod5        ISO_Level3_Shift (0x5c),  Mode_switch (0xcb)

Larry

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 6:14 AM, kitepilot at kitepilot.com <
kitepilot at kitepilot.com> wrote:

> Hello cybernetic intelligence:
> This is what's happening:
> Every so often, and in several Ubuntu machines that I take care of (and
> some KDE machines before I ditched KDE), suddenly, and for not apparent
> reason, the NUMLOCK key quits working and all I get is control characters
> regardless of the state of the key.
> The only solution I could find in KDE was to remove the ~/.kde directory,
> but as Gnome seems to have more than one configuration directory, my Gnome
> solution is to remove anything I can't surely identify (like .ssh, .mozilla,
> .wine, etc)
> Most times this happens (it would be funny if it wasn't happening to me) I
> am in a RUSH, so I just "get it fixed" and live on.
> Does anybody know a solution to this issue without resorting to such bloody
> butchering?
> It's kindda of a pain to rebuild every configuration setting...  :(
> Hope I can get some help...
> Enrique A. Troconis

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
  - Thomas Jefferson