event space @ maker bench tempe, computer donation?

Dave U lookleftgoright at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 12:07:30 MST 2011

This is Dave Uhlman, I am a previously active contributor and more recently
a longtime lurker on the list. I own Maker Bench in Tempe which is opening
this weekend on June 11th, we're a makerspace and workshop. One suite of our
setup is a pretty good meeting place and I wanted to put it out there that
if there are any PLUG/user group/open source activities or events that need
a physical home we have some nights and times available for hosting them
(for free). All the usual requirements in terms of easy walking distance to
bars/food, good parking, and convenient highway access are there plus we
'get' what you folks are trying to do. We have soda and snacks on site too.

On another note we have somewhere between 4-12  (some work only partly)
fairly modern PCs that would be good linux systems we were looking to give
or donate. We also have another set which has the DELL capacitor problem,
the machines are 3ghz+ I believe but need $20-30 worth of electronics and
elbow grease to work. Is there a current best person/group to work with so
they see a good home?

If there are any current inkscape experts interested in working with us on
some classes for that, drop me a line at a info at makerbench.com

Feel free to stop by this weekend or anytime, 2010 E University Drive,
Tempe, Suite 4. Opening is 11am-7pm this saturday. For all the hardwork you
folks have done over the years I want to give back and anyone who mentions
PLUG can take our laser cutter safety training for free. It's normally $55.
Thanks, have fun, good luck.

-Dave