Sound not working

Nathan England nathan at paysonlinux.org
Mon Jul 25 21:48:06 MST 2011

If you open the systemsettings control panel and go into Media I believe,
you can play with the phonon components and change plugin usage and hardware
usage. You might want to install the phonon-vlc components, they worked well
for me on my 7.1 usb hardware. Also, make sure your sound levels are not
muted... you might want to run 'alsamixer -V all' from the command line and
un-mute anything that is muted. Then when you have your levels set nicely,
run 'sudo alsactl store'

Natjam

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Richard Wilson <relw at mchsi.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> I could use some help on how to get sound working on a new (for me anyway)
> system I recently rescued (rescued = replaced power supply and overwrote
> corrupt Windows installation with Linux).  This system has an ASUS A8V
> Deluxe motherboard with an on board 8 channel sound controller.
>
> I ran the alsa-info.sh script and it stored my config out at
> http://www.alsa-project.org/**db/?f=**86fa0d5cc3e84072b1df4611187bf7**
> aadb4b0dd8<http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=86fa0d5cc3e84072b1df4611187bf7aadb4b0dd8> I am not working with anyone there yet though.
>
> I have a known working pair of powered speakers attached to the appropriate
> output for only 2 speakers (according to the ASUS documentation). but am
> getting absolutely nothing.
>
> I am running Fedora 15 PAE kernel, KDE 4.6.5-1
>
> Nothing I have tried so far has worked -- I am not very savvy when it comes
> to sound cards.  Any help/poinjters would be appreciated.
>
> TIA,
>
> Rich Wilson

Nathan England
I believe in the Constitution and the 4th Amendment. I am innocent and have
nothing to hide, but NO agent of the state crosses my threshhold without a
valid warrant signed by a judge and properly submitted. If we fail to
exercise our rights, we lose them.