PowerPC Recommendations

Nathan England nathan at paysonlinux.org
Wed Jul 20 15:56:55 MST 2011

Thanks Eric, I appreciate your help. I didn't know about the OpenSUSE
option. I will check that out first.

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Technomage Hawke <
technomage.hawke at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have had some experience with linux on PPC. just about all of them use
> the dubs subsystem and depending on your specific logic board, may cause the
> system to become unresponsive.
>
> that aside, the best distribution is debian or ubuntu (though debian may
> have better application support). Opensuse also makes a PPC version of their
> distribution. However, I have never tried an rpm based distribution.
>
> one of the items to know is that you may have to change the boot parameters
> in your firmware in order to automatically boot your installed systemm. I
> may be able to offer some assistance, but I need someone with a pair of eyes
> to tell me what is happening. btw, orca and speech-dispatcher will work in
> PPC versions, but it takes a little tweaking.
>
> let me know if you need some help.
>
> -Eric
> 623-399-5635
> On Jul 20, 2011, at 12:50 PM, Nathan England wrote:
>
> > Hello Hello,
> >
> > Someone just gave me 4 G3/G4 iMac's with OS 9 on them. I am not sure of
> the specs yet, but I am interested to know if anyone has any experience with
> Linux on these bad boys? I ran edUbuntu on a G3 years ago and it was
> awful... I'm hoping the newer versions are better. Any thoughts?
> >
> > Nathan
> >
> > --

Nathan England
I believe in the Constitution and the 4th Amendment. I am innocent and have
nothing to hide, but NO agent of the state crosses my threshhold without a
valid warrant signed by a judge and properly submitted. If we fail to
exercise our rights, we lose them.