PowerPC Recommendations

Stephen cryptworks at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 14:24:45 MST 2011

I know that for odd multiboot situations I use refit. But I can't remember
if its available on ppc or not.
On Jul 20, 2011 1:15 PM, "Technomage Hawke" <technomage.hawke at gmail.com>
wrote:
> I have had some experience with linux on PPC. just about all of them use
the dubs subsystem and depending on your specific logic board, may cause the
system to become unresponsive.

> that aside, the best distribution is debian or ubuntu (though debian may
have better application support). Opensuse also makes a PPC version of their
distribution. However, I have never tried an rpm based distribution.

> one of the items to know is that you may have to change the boot
parameters in your firmware in order to automatically boot your installed
systemm. I may be able to offer some assistance, but I need someone with a
pair of eyes to tell me what is happening. btw, orca and speech-dispatcher
will work in PPC versions, but it takes a little tweaking.

> let me know if you need some help.
>
> -Eric
> 623-399-5635
> On Jul 20, 2011, at 12:50 PM, Nathan England wrote:
>
>> Hello Hello,
>>
>> Someone just gave me 4 G3/G4 iMac's with OS 9 on them. I am not sure of
the specs yet, but I am interested to know if anyone has any experience with
Linux on these bad boys? I ran edUbuntu on a G3 years ago and it was
awful... I'm hoping the newer versions are better. Any thoughts?