need help installing to a USB stick

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Tue Jul 12 22:17:26 MST 2011

If you can run the usb-creator-gtk program (apt-get install usb-creator-gtk), that will install from any ISO; it doesn't have to be the system you're using.
It's a gui, however, so not ideal, but it's easier than trying to do a standard install on a USB drive.  The installer takes about 1G, just allocate *all* of the rest of the drive to the "reserved extra space" and your rommate should be able to go forward from there with no major issues (as long as they don't dump too much stuff on the drive, 8G runs out kind of fast if you're not careful).
You can start it with "usb-creator-gtk --iso=path-to-your-.iso" to make for a little bit less screen reading work.

Just download the kubuntu iso and use the above program to install it on your rommate's USB stick, and you're good to go.