Looking for NAS Hardware Recommendations

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Tue Jul 12 21:59:39 MST 2011

You shouldn't need to change or upload firmware.

acp_commander can reset the root password (If it can get a shell prompt it should be able to reset the password...)
  java -jar acp_commander.jar -t $YOUR_NAS_IP_ADDRESS -o
That will clear the root password to nothing, allowing you to login via ssh or telnet as root with the (blank) password.

You should be able to re-secure things from there (ideally drop an SSH key in for root, create a second account that can sudo and drop a key there as well, then lock the password for both to prevent password login and disable telnet).