Looking for NAS Hardware Recommendations

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Tue Jul 12 14:25:27 MST 2011

Joeseph,

One more issue, oh Great Buffalo NAS one....;-)

I started to work on rooting the device by following this
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Category:LS-WXL. First stumbling block
is I have firmware 1.43. However, the zip key for 1.41 worked to unzip the
firmware image. It turns out ssh is already enabled for root in 1.43, but
one needs a password. It is not the same as the admin password. So, I set up
an ssh key and put the disk image back together as described in the article.
However, how do I get the LS-WXL beastie to gobble up the new firmware?

The web access only allows firmware to be downloaded from Buffalo (no upload
file dialog, just a button to update the firmware, which only goes to
Buffalo to check on available updates, and then installs them), and the
Windows software does not have an option to upload firmware, either. I can
get in with acp_commander to the shell prompt, which seems to be a disguised
telnet prompt, so I am not sure how to upload new firmware via that method.

Anyway to get the root password from the device or the file system I
downloaded so I can use that to ssh in and not have to replace the firmware?

Thanks for any further suggestions you may have!

Mark