Looking for NAS Hardware Recommendations

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Sun Jul 10 22:42:06 MST 2011

In the shared folders section, one can check Windows, Apple, disk backup,
ftp, and sftp. When I clicked Windows and backup, rsync works.

mark at orca:~/Desktop$ rsync SANY0002.JPG rsync://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/array1_fred/
mark at orca:~/Desktop$ rsync rsync://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/
array1_fred
mark at orca:~/Desktop$

The file was copied to fred, as verified by ftp.

Thanks for the link. I am worried that backup files will loose their
ownership attributes when I back them up, as the poster says:

"Yes, you can use rsync on another machine to connect to the rsync-enabled
shares on a LSpro; BUT all the files created by this method on the LSpro are
owned by root/root and not by any of the users created on the LSpro, and
there is no way to delete or update these files except by using the rsync
command."

If I root the device and enable ssh, then I can rsync in via ssh and bypass
all this Buffalo c**p, right? Backuppc also depends on hard links, so
perhaps I have to go all the way and install Debian on the box?

Mark

On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 10:18 PM, Joseph Sinclair <plug-discussion at stcaz.net