Looking for NAS Hardware Recommendations

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Sun Jul 10 22:18:58 MST 2011

For the mount, you can just use normal mount with -t cifs (or put it in fstab with cifs as the filesystem type).
umount is generic; the unmount interface standardized a while back, that's why umount.cifs is no longer in Debian, it's obsolete.

For rsync, the module name will never have a space.  Given that it's not showing up the way we expect, my best guess is the module naming changed in the most recent revisions of the firmware.
It seems something odd is going on, quite possibly the rsync daemon is running but no shares are enabled as backup targets.
According to the Linkstation forums on buffalo.nas-central.org, You have to go into the backup section in the web interface and set each share that's supposed to be available via rsync as a backup target (not entirely sure what that looks like).
Here's the post I found: http://forum.buffalo.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?p=41941#p41941
It's not 100% applicable, but it should apply to your device fairly equally.