Looking for NAS Hardware Recommendations

Stephen cryptworks at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 09:00:38 MST 2011

if you don't mind a little server building Openfiler can convert a
built server into a nice NAS appliance. It even has built in
extensions for the 3ware management tools for example. they also sell
built appliance from the same company that builds and maintains the
OS. I have used in the past to power a network quite nicely. even so
far as hosting iSCSI luns for a VM host and file access.

http://www.openfiler.com/

opensource technology with a solid business practice behind it. It has
been around for 5-6 years now that i am aware of.

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 8:42 AM, Crawford Rainwater
<crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com> wrote:
> Mark and company:
>
> QNAP systems might cost a bit like Drobo (but not as much as Drobo), but SAN and NAS storage none the less.  Their URL is
>
> http://www.qnap.com
>
> The 459 Pro II is a modern version of a client of our's 459 Pro+ which is quite nice (and quite underutilized by the client as well ;-) ).
>
> HTH.
>
> --- Crawford
>
> The Linux ETC Company
> 10121 Yates Court
> Westminster, CO 80031 USA
> voice:  +1.303.604.2550
> web:    http://www.linux-etc.com
>
> Please do not print this email unless it is absolutely necessary.  Be friendly to the environment by saving paper.
>
> ----- Mark Phillips <mark at phillipsmarketing.biz> wrote: -----
>>
>> I have a small network and would like to set up some network
>> backaup/storage. I looked at Best Buy and the WD MyBook 2TB NAS
>> storage
>> looked good at $150, but the reviews were terrible. I checked Fry's
>> and the
>> Iomega 2TB StoreCenter is more expensive ($239), but is has a few more
>> bells
>> and whistles, and is a bit faster, but runs hot according to the
>> reviews.
>>
>> What I am looking for:
>> 1-2 TB storage
>> network access
>> access to stored files via the Internet
>> compatible with Linux for automatic backups
>>
>> Have you used any of these devices, or do you recommend another brand?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Mark

Stephen