text-level semantics and the blind?

Technomage Hawke technomage.hawke at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 04:55:15 MST 2011

interesting.
I never noticed that before. the items that get </del> don't appear invisible to me. in fact, that attribute seems to be ignored. no wonder some documents get confusing to me. I do have a "text attributes" setting in voiceover that would tell me this, but it amps up the verbosity so much as to make reading standard web pages a mess to filter.

I posted the following to his comments section a few minutes ago:
"I was reading this page using voiceover. some of the text attributes were invisible to me. the <del> element was completely invisible. I didn’t even know that those entries were to be removed from the text.

btw, I am a mac user and use voiceover. color highlights, bold, italics, other enhancements are all invisible to me. the only way I could “see” them is if I turned on “text attributes” which would make an ordinary html/5 document unnecessarily verbose. Since I cannot read braille yet (and have no braille device), I have no clear idea if these same markers would be visible or otherwise in braille.

also, I have no clear idea how other screen access software (jaws, window eyes, thunder, system acces and NVDA) would react to these. more input from the blind community is needed."

-Eric