Floppy

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Fri Jan 21 16:18:28 MST 2011

From: "Eric - A" <ericallen3 at juno.com>
> I have a Mitsumi 1.44 USB Floppy drive I'd like to have plug-n-play

USB Mass Storage devices *are* plug-n-play; they don't require setting jumpers
or configuring IRQs or loading firmware.  :-P

> currently can only access it by using (~# mount -t vfat /dev/sdb
> /media/floppy)...

If you want the device to automount, this is not an insanely great idea for
floppy disks, since they almost always have a manual eject button and you can
eject the disk while it's still being written to or before all writes have
completed.  You want an automounter of some type.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mount/USB looks like a great place to start
looking (google://"ubuntu automount").  (Automounting of removable media is,
IMHO, a horrible idea, but I've seen things trying to automount a damaged
disk, failing miserably, and getting stuck in state D and dragging the rest of
the system down with it.)

> USB flash drives are easier, but my mother's pc doesn't have usb
> capability.

Yikes.  Sneakernetting things is so less-than-useful now that everything has
some sort of networking.  But if it's so old that it doesn't have USB ports,
maybe the computer archaeology people would be interested?  :-)

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows