Opening, blocking and changing ports on RedHat

Nitin Sharma nitinics at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 17:56:06 MST 2011

/etc/services - is used to map ports and service-names to protocols, such as
-  telnet 23/tcp

The name "telnet" is then referenced on /etc/inetd.conf which would then map
these "service-names" to corresponding server that would get spawned(binary
executable). If you are on a centos, check for xinetd.

I havent tried this, but may be you could try this, make the service names
different on /etc/services - e.g. ssh_test 22/tcp , and run ssh using
inetd/xinetd. You might be getting warnings or errors starting the service
since it would reference a name "ssh" as the service name which wouldnot
have any port/protocol associated on /etc/services?