OT: Survey: 32% Admit Mooching Neighbor's Wi-Fi

James Finstrom jfinstrom at rhinoequipment.com
Wed Feb 9 08:39:03 MST 2011

Qwest always ships their routers with wep on by default. I have found these
routers to be easy backup interweb sources.
When I lived in an apartment I had a server that simply sat there
and acquired credentials. Fortunately my Cox connection had awesome uptime
and I never had the need to use the data.

Here is some observations, If you want free internet look for medical
offices. HIPPA requires security but not "smart security" Often the password
to access their wireless and often their servers is their office name, a
doctor in their office, or their specialty. Some think they are clever and
add encapsulate the name in exclamation marks.  You can also often walk in
and ask a question and eagle eye the password off a post it note.

I have several times offered to help secure offices that hold the medical
records of me and my family because frankly HIPPA is worthless

--James