accessing home network

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Sat Dec 31 21:53:52 MST 2011

Strong crypto and authentication is ideal, ssh with shared-key or strong
pass is ideal in a bastion (single) host scenario.  If you have limited
home lan resources, this is just fine.  If you run multiple hosts, vpn
becomes ideal to expose route ability to your entire lan. Xwindow or VNC
via ssh-based port forwards work well for graphical interfaces in this
scenario too.  You can use sshfs (apt-get/yum install) for file sharing
easily too.

Consider enterprise concept of connecting to more than a *few* hosts.
Openvpn is a nice gateway for this, especially if you have a ddwrt or
tomato-based firmware'd router, or a flexible vmware environment.  You
can likewise buy a small cisco pix 501 firewall off ebay that'll do
enterprise ipsec crypto vpn for a cable modem off ebay/craigslist for a
hundred bucks with (solid) cisco software client support for ipsec vpn.
  It accomplishes direct ip/port connectivity without the
port-forwarding mess assuming you memorize ip's or setup dns.  This
gives employable experience as well in the security/network world.

-mb