keyboard stopped working

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 22:34:53 MST 2011

OK, obviously it's a hardware issue.  You've done good getting to that point.

Here's the problem: laptop keyboards generally don't have any "brains"
on board.  At all.  The entire keyboard controller hardware set is on
the motherboard.  So there's a strong chance it's the motherboard, but
not a certainty.

If it was mine, I'd do the following:

1) Go find instructions on how to pull the keyboard out on that
specific model, online.  Google is your friend.  So is a $20 set of
micro-sized screwdriver bits at Radio Shack that will let you take
apart more or less any type of laptop screw, from Torx to Phillips to
regular:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3932539

EVERY geek needs this.  You can take apart all kinds of little
gadgets, not just laptops.  External hard drives, MP3 players (like a
Sansa I used to use that would hard-lock once in a while, had to pull
the battery that was behind micro-screws...).

2) Pop the keyboard off.  Do nothing else.  NOTE: laptop keyboard
connectors are oddball inside.  Basically, you'll have a flat "end"
that goes into a "slot" and then there'll be a thing that anchors it
called the "clip".  Go REAL easy sliding the clip back and forth as
you can break one of the ends.  The good news is, you can still make
it work even if it looks "broken" - this article with pics explains:

http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2009/11/17/fix-broken-keyboard-connector-on-laptop-motherboard/

3) See if that changes the boot behavior.  If it does, you may be in
luck - something is shorted out in the keyboard itself.  In that case
used laptop keyboards for various models (even older ones) are often
available on Ebay for cheap - as little as $10-$15, sometimes up to
$25, $40 would be high on an older one (used "pulled working").

If everything is the same keyboard in or out, well hell, I would
suspect the motherboard and at that point, anything from the Win98 era
is just not worth dealing with :(.

Jim