remotely controlling your computer

Benjamin Francom bfrancom at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 14:10:31 MST 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 12:00 PM, <
plug-discuss-request at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us> wrote:

> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 10:49:13 -0700
> From: Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com>
> To: Main PLUG discussion list <PLUG-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
> Subject: Re: remotely controlling your computer

> one more thing..... I want to be able to auto accept the request to access
> the computer.
>
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 10:46 AM, Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > What are your favorite methods of remotely accessing your computer? I
> > found krfb and krdc but I only don't want to have to start two programs
> > every time I want to do this.

If console access, SSH.
For GUI:
It used to be FreeNX, but the project seems to have not been updated in a
long time.  So far, it looks like the replacment is neatx which is
similar...using same protocols/compression (I believe).
The NX protocol is nice/fast, and secure (uses SSH)...
https://code.google.com/p/neatx/

Kind of related to the topic is a 'remote session manager' ...Currently use
PAC (Perl Auto Connector) Manager.  It lets you save your
preferences/settings for various sessions (ssh,rdp,etc).
It's like vRD on Windows.