help with internet connection

Stephen cryptworks at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 15:28:53 MST 2011

There is one bit of infoirmation that is from the cli that would help
a great deal

sudo ifconfig

that will tell us a fair amount about hat you have where

and then maybe a ping to google.com and a ping to 8.8.8.8 (googles DNS server)

if the 2 pings fail it measn you have no network at all. if you can
ping the numbers it means you have having DNS/Name resolution issues
and if you can ping both something else is going on.

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 3:24 PM, betty <nicepenguin at webcanine.com> wrote:
> Well, I did something not good with my husband's computer. I am the sudo
> user on it. I had set it up with two hdds. One is m$ and one is ubuntu. He
> uses ubuntu most of the time :)
> Unfortunately when I reset it so that he didn't have to sign in, and when I
> also made hdd with ubuntu the primary boot drive, it also made ubuntu not
> access the internet. When I switch to the m$ hdd, it CAN access the
> internet. So I know the computer itself must be connected ok.
> How can I check what to fix on the ubuntu (10.xx) to make it work online
> again.???
> Am not a good CL user, so anything that is GUI is more my speed.
> Any nice help greatly appreciated, as usual.
> cookies and brownies to all.
>
> --
> betty i.
> www.webcanine.com