Setting Up Bind9 Test

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Sun Aug 14 16:47:44 MST 2011

Hi David!

Nice to see you on Saturday!

Bind9 can be fussy (rndc controls everything).

You ARE changing the right item to turn recursion on.
http://www.eukhost.com/forums/f15/turning-off-dns-recursion-bind-2283/

But you can also do this in a Bind9 ACL using the "Views" feature:
http://www.bind9.net/manual/bind/9.3.1/Bv9ARM.ch07.html
http://oreilly.com/pub/a/oreilly/networking/news/views_0501.html

Are you restarting named after a change? "/etc/init.d/named restart"
If you have rndc are you reloading?  "rdnc reload"

Do you have logging turned on, so you can see what is happening?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BIND9ServerHowto

Are you editing the right file?  There's a chroot?  "locate named.conf"

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 10:27 AM, David Demland <demland at cox.net> wrote:

> I am trying to set up a DNS poisoning test as an example for my class. I
> have setup both an Ubuntu 6.10 and 10.10 server. When I use my Backtrack
> system to check the DNS server I get a message “This server is not replying
> to recursive requests”. I have added “allow-recursion { any; };” to my
> configuration file. Yet the Backtrack system still fails. What do I have to
> do to allow on the DNS server for the Backtrack system to do the recursive
> request?****
>
> ** **
>
> Thank you for your help,****
>
> ** **