Amazon vs Linode

Vimal Shah vimals at sokikom.com
Thu Apr 21 23:10:57 MST 2011

Will having dev and test as in-house servers run the risk of having a live
server that is not ~100% identical?  Keeping all environments virtual seems
to be a sure fire (not to mention expensive) way to make sure that all
environments are as close to identical as possible.  Is this overkill?

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 11:03 PM, Bryan O'Neal <
Bryan.ONeal at theonealandassociates.com> wrote:

> If your really good you can work magic at $5 per instance per month.
> But that requires some actual planning. But after that it does make
> things easy to expand.  Personally I would go for horizontal scaling
> options from commodity providers. Maybe mix in some spare office
> equipment for dev and test and you would be off to the races.
> Ease of expansion and contraction combined with low cost is what you
> gain from commodity commuting. Cloud is just a word. Don't get caught
> up making things more web 2.0 and cloud-ish. Aim for solid horizontal
> sailing at a low cost that will still provide solid HA.
>
> On 4/21/11, Ted Gould <ted at gould.cx> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2011-04-22 at 01:38 +0000, Ariel Gold wrote:
> >> Private Cloud? Commodity hosting provider?
> >>
> >> So you're saying Amazon and Linode are public clouds, and recommending
> >> he setup a private cloud for less than $100/mo? That means he's paying
> >> and managing his own hardware and setting up an automated
> >> virtualization system? And the $100/month would be for colocation and
> >> bandwidth?
> >
> > Why, yes, yes I am :-)
> >
> > You can set up a private cloud with two machines and a few hours of work
> > by installing UEC on them.
> >
> >   http://www.ubuntu.com/business/server/cloud
> >
> > I'm sure other vendors have similar solutions, but that's the one I know
> > (I work for Canonical).  It's really pretty easy to do.
> >
> > I think that as we enter the "cloud era" business will be measured on
> > their success of managing the balance between private and public clouds.
> > Public clouds provide scalability but private clouds provide more
> > predictability.  And I think that predictability is key for development
> > and QA.  Of course, I'm one guy on a mailing list :-)
> >
> > So back to your numbers, a couple of decent servers for $1K each with a
> > 2-3 year lifetime is less than $100/mo.  Of course YMMV.
> >
> >               --Ted
> >

> --
> Sent from my mobile device

Vimal Shah, VP of Engineering