How to replicate the old unix chat?

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Sat Apr 9 17:49:01 MST 2011

> If I'm not mistaken, you'll also need to set mesg to 'y' in order
> to allow it to converse.  This is either global, or per user.

If you try "talk joebob pts/2" then you'll get "your party is refusing
messages" if joebob on pts/2 has mesg set to n.  Also, talkd is usually
started from xinetd or inetd, so remember to set that up or talk will never
work at all and you'll be confused.  Also also, ytalk has more features than
talk, like possible 3-way chats IIRC.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows