How to replicate the old unix chat?

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 09:11:31 MST 2011

There are various IRC (Internet Chat Relay) programs, like xchat, you could
use.  But they are not direct between two users logged into the same system
as you are asking for.

Linux does have a chat utility that could be what you used back then but the
man page describes it as being an automated conversational script with a
modem.  I've no idea whether it could be used as your old Tandy did for a
user logged in via modem or ...

The chattr program you mentioned is a program for changing the attributes of
a file

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 8:43 AM, <joe at actionline.com> wrote:

> About a hundred years ago, on an old Tandy 6000 unix system that I had,
> there was a command line 'chat' utility that allowed an interactive 'chat'
> between a host computer and a terminal logged in to the host. It was much
> simpler, faster, and (to my mind) more efficient than any graphical 'chat'
> program I have seen ... so, I wonder if there might be a way to replicate
> that on a current Linux system?
>
> On my current system, in /usr/bin, I see chattr and xchat and in /usr/sbin
> I see chat, but I don't know how they work. (I know, I need to try to find
> and decipher a 'man' page, and I will.) But just wondered if anyone on our
> list knows which, if any, current 'chat' utility works the way the old
> unix command line 'chat' worked.
>
> It just allowed two (or more) parties to be "on the same page"
> simultaneously and everything that anyone typed appeared on the screen
> (and the entire exchange copied to a file).  It was great because anyone
> could jump in while another person was typing and (politely) interrupt,
> even in mid-sentence. For cooperating folks that worked very well because
> no one had to wait 'til another person finished and hit <Enter> to add
> something. Our convention was, if someone wanted to "jump in," they would
> just type an elipsis (...) and the currently writing party would know that
> someone else had something to insert.
>
> I'd like to be able to use this again with one of my team, if it is still
> available somehow.

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
  - Thomas Jefferson