PortableApps help

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Sat Apr 9 00:21:47 MST 2011

moin moin,

Life would be grand if I could have at least GIMP for m$ and mac running
off a USB drive for Monday morning :).

I need to set up a PortableApps drive for someone. It looks like it wants
to install via an exe, so needs m$ to set up. Is that true? If so, can
someone help me with that at the meeting on Thursday?

http://portableapps.com/download

That lists all of the software installed by default? I want to make sure
no freeware sneaks in.

After the main install new packages can be installed by hand?

Need to be running windows in order to install them?

I like that 2.0 will support package updates. Seems so 1997, but glad it's
finally happening :).

Any of this available via torrent, so that I can help defray bandwidth
costs for them?

I'd like the same drive to also have an Ubuntu install. I believe m$ will
completely ignore the ext? partitions that will hold the Ubuntu install
and pretend they don't exist.

Is there now anything equivalent for mac? Last time I asked there was
something, but not quite as good. A quick search actually turns up quite a
few things, so I guess the question really is "Is there a portable apps
site/mechanism you would recommend?" :)

http://osxportableapps.sourceforge.net/

Looks like that requires use of a mac to build it. Hrmph :(.

Hmm.

http://www.freesmug.org/portableapps

http://www.freesmug.org/portableapps:gimp/

Can I just toss the dmg file on a FAT filesystem and let the mac do
whatever the mac do whatever it does with dmg files and maybe it'll
install GIMP on the thumb drive? Looks like I'll also need X11.

Does XQuartz ( formerly XDarwin ) require admin to install? Can it also be
portable on the USB drive?

http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/X112.6.1

Hmm, needing to reinstall after updates from apple or needing to logout
and login after installing doesn't look promising.

It would also be awesome if I could install and maintain these things via
GNU/Linux without needing the proprietary OSen.

ciao,

der.hans
#  ABLEconf - 2011Apr02 - Free Software for Free Enterprise
#  Intelligence without compassion is a waste.  -- der.hans