Need Help with iTouch and Linux

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Wed Sep 29 16:44:31 MST 2010

My daughter has a Debian testing machine and an iTouch. If I plug in the
iTouch, gnome mounts it and I can open it and see folders and files.
However, gtkpod can't seem to find it. She wants to put some mp3 files on
her iTouch, and I thought that is what gtkpod would do for her.

I googled for some solutions for gettting gtkpod to talk to her iTouch, and
found articles that talk about doing all sorts of rude things to the iTouch
(ie jailbreaking it), which I assume is just old information. I found this
article, http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45679, which does
not require jailbreaking the iTouch. However, since gnome already mounts the
iTouch, I suspect this article is obsolete already. It talks about using
lots of Debian unstable packages, but do I really need them if gnome can
read the iTouch drive?

Anybody have a good recipe for getting an iTouch to talk to gtkpod with
Debian testing?

Thanks!

Mark