Need a mail app for LARGE volumes of mail...

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Mon Sep 20 09:35:28 MST 2010

Jim March wrote:
> I've been using GMail through the web interface.  I've just realized
> it's dropping data.  It lost something important and I can't have
> that.  I'm going to have to suck it all down locally.
>
> I need a mail client that will handle massive piles.  And it has to
> allow streaming it all in continuously.  We're talking about almost
> 6gig.  Thunderbird emphatically won't cut it.  Dunno about Evolution
> but I suspect not.  I'm on Maverick.  I have enough embedded
> graphics/PDFs/etc. to deal with that I need something GUI vs. terminal
> interface.
>
> Any clue what I should try?
>
> Jim

I think you need a personal mail *server*. I recommend
http://qmailtoaster.com/. QMT is robust, very reliable, has good
community support, and is being continually improved.

I've been running QMT since '06. The first one started on a
PII-266MH/512MB/80GB machine, which I expect would still suffice for
your needs, although more CPU wouldn't hurt. I have seen 6-7G per
account on one of these, using IMAP for access (dovecot on the server
side) with absolutely no problems (MS Outlook has a 2G limit, not
surprisingly, but I doubt that applies to you). You can configure
fetchmail with it to grab your gmail, or whatever other accounts. Then
you can comfortably use whichever client you like, and more than one at
the same time. Since the mail's on the server, when you change something
with one client, all clients see the change. You can even use a
blackberry (or whatever mobile device w/ internet access) to access your
mail. Webmail (squirrelmail, with horde coming soon) is included as well.

Let me know if you'd like any help with QMT. I've been active in that
community since I started using it.

If anyone would like to build a QMT, that can easily be done at an
InstallFest. It would take just a couple hours. Please send an email to
installfest at plug.phoenix.az.us if you're interested.

--
-Eric 'shubes'