Defrag

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Mon Sep 20 09:11:42 MST 2010

Bryan O'Neal wrote:
> Many of you know my feelings on file fragmentation in linux. However
> Keven is correct that EXT4 is the only approved way to gain defrag
> functionality short of cleaning the drive and moving your files back
> in starting with the largest and most frequently accessed files.

I presume by "defrag functionality" Bryan's talking generally about
filesystem optimization. Defrag is but one aspect of filesystem
optimization.

Indeed, defrag of ext3 doesn't seem to be as much of a concern as with
FAT or NTFS. One way to defrag ext3 is to boot from a live CD, tar
everything off to an external device, reformat the filesystem (or remove
everything, but I thing reformatting might be faster), and tar
everything back.

As Bryan hinted, if you could arrange the files in the tarball by
frequency of use, that would provide an additional level of optimization.

There are a few other things you can do to improve ext3 performance. The
noatime mount option will reduce the writes required to the device.
There are also a few settings you can tweak with the tune2fs utility
that can improve performance, such as dir_index, which is useful if you
have any directories with a large number of files.

Of course, have a look at ext4 for the latest developments in this area.
I haven't looked at ext4 in detail yet.
--
-Eric 'shubes'