[OT] android phone, possible to get a good deal?

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 15:21:08 MST 2010

If you buy the phone outright at NewEgg or the like, you can do month to month.

The next thing I'd advise is going with TMobile - because they're the
most tether-tolerant (by FAR) of the major cell houses.  I've got the
oldest TMobile 3G-capable phone made, the Sony-Ericsson TM506, which
doesn't look like much but it's a tethering monster, I can get online
with my Ubuntu lappy via either Bluetooth or USB painlessly and with
over 3/4ths the speed of the Verizon dedicated cellular modem I was
using before.  Under Verizon I was paying $80/mo for unlimited
talk/text on a regular cellphone and $60/mo for data on a separate
data device.  It was brutal.

On TMobile the old Sony can do both, and can even do 'em both at once
- I can take a phone call while online and while the data speed slows
down, it's still usable.

The Sony TM506 cost me $60 used at a pawn shop :).  Because I started
my TMobile account with it already in hand, I can do month to month.

I get between .80mb/s download in speedtest.net to usually closer to
1.2mb/s in the greater Phoenix area.

You can do the same thing with an Android smartphone.  I think the
Samsung Galaxy might be what you want, in it's GSM TMobile-compatible
flavor at least - and at least one variant under $300 supports the
same HSDPA data as my old Sony.  Only problem is, it's Android 1.5:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875176145

To get Android 2.1 you have to spend almost $500:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875176195

Wait just a bit and that should be upgradeable to 2.2?

Jim