OT - Explaining periods of unemployment on an application

JD Austin jd at twingeckos.com
Thu Sep 16 15:59:52 MST 2010

I've only ever seen applications ask if you've been convicted of a crime
never just accused.
If the question is 'accused' I would check yes and write 'I was falsely
accused and was acquitted' next to it; if there wasn't room I'd check both
boxes.  Alternately I'd cross out the offending word and put convicted and
check no.  Anyone fired for undisclosed suspicion of a crime who has been
acquitted should sue the heck out of that company.

I can see if you were convicted and left it out where that would be grounds
but if you were acquitted it's a different matter.  Accusation!=guilt.
 People falsely accuse people of things they didn't do all the time.  Police
mistakenly arrest and charge the wrong person for a crime they didn't commit
(some even are put to death though those people ARE convicted).

I don't think it's fair to ask if someone has been accused of a crime but
it's fine to ask if they have been convicted.
More direct questions like 'have you ever stolen' are fine with me too.