going M$ free

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 10:35:49 MST 2010

It gets better yet.

With Vbox, when Windows is running (and eating some system resources), it's
getting it's internet feed from Ubuntu which in turn is acting like a
software firewall from hell.

The XP (or whatever version you want, XP is really best though) virtual
machine lives on a single file within the Linux file system, at
/home/username/.VirtualBox/somethingorother - so you can just back up the
whole /.VirtualBox directory to something else any time you want.  If
Windows goes kablewy, don't try and debug it, reload it from backup.

Pro tip: don't use the "open source edition" found in most repos - go to
www.virtualbox.org and get the "Personal Use Evaluation License" edition
which is free for personal use, costs bux for corporate use.  This one has
two extra features: USB pass-through lets you connect a USB device straight
to the virtual machine, and host/guest networking lets you share a Linux
directory with the guest OS and from within Windows, map it to a drive
letter.  This lets you store all the Windows data in a Linux directory, so
if anything happens to the Windows install, screw it, reload and don't even
bother to salvage the data because there isn't any.

VirtualBox will work with a CPU that doesn't support hardware virtualization
but will work better if it does.  More or less any "dual core" AMD CPU will
have what AMD calls "AMD-x", while Intel sometimes gets cheesy and withholds
"VT-x" from some chips.  Example...google the following two:

Intel T5500

Intel T7400

You'll get Intel's official specs page on both.  Although they're both "core
2 duo", the T5500 lacks hardware virt.  In a few cases Intel has shipped
chips that lack 64bit support but DO have hardware virt - the T2500 for
example.  The Intel "Pentium Dual Cores" all lack hardware virt support that
I know of, even the relatively fast T4500.

I would argue that us Linux guys actually need hardware virt support more
than we need 64bit, at least for desktop systems.  Intel has been pushing
64bit as more critical, supporting it even in a fair number of single-core
CPUs including most of the Atom series.

Jim